Replacing the windows in your home does not have to be a stressful event. Having a reputable contractor who has experience with window installation do the job means that the work will be done quickly and efficiently.
Before you begin to interview contractors regarding home window installation or even just for window repair do some pre-screening. Check with the Better Business Bureau, and ask people you trust for recommendations. Perhaps you have a neighbor co-worker who has had similar work done. Once you have a list of contractors ask each of them the following:
- Do you provide references from previous clients?
- Is there a charge for providing an estimate?
- How much time will the project take, and is the end date guaranteed?
- During what hours do you work?
- Do you offer a warranty on your work? If so, what are the terms?
- Do you work specifically with one brand of replacement windows or other products?
- What all is included in the estimate (painting, clean-up, etc.)?
- How long have you been in the glass replacement or window repair business?
- Can I pay in installments?
- Do you carry liability insurance?
- Will you be doing the work by yourself or do you subcontract some, or all, of the work?
After the pre-screening stage you can move confidently toward obtaining estimates for the work to be done. Having a contractor you can trust replace your windows means minimal disruption in your life while the work is being done and no unpleasant surprises once the job is complete. Don’t be afraid to keep asking questions until you feel sure about your choice.